Cancer and rare diseases have been on the EU political agenda in recent years. Here we list a number of initiatives focused on these disease areas. A conference on "European Actions to improve the life of patients living with rare diseases" was held from 25–26 October 2011 in Luxembourg. An overview of the conference and related documents can be found here.
Policy initiatives on rare diseases/rare cancers:
- RARECARENet - Information network on rare cancers RARECARENet kick-off meeting presentations can be viewed here.
- High Level Pharmaceutical Forum’s guiding principles on improving access to orphan drugs to all citizens in Europe
- RARECARE (Surveillance of rare cancers in Europe), including definition of rare cancers and list of rare cancers
- Provisions on rare diseases of the Commission’s proposal for a Directive on the Application of Patients’ Rights in Cross-border Healthcare and the European Parliament’s report on the issue
Policy initiatives on cancer/promoting health:
- Health Council Conclusions during the Slovenian Presidency (Jan – Jun 2008) on Reducing the Burden of Cancer